230 Powder Dr
Fort McMurray, AB T9K 0M3
Renowned expert DR. DEWEY CORNELL from the University of Virginia, will facilitate a one-day workshop on the Student Threat Assessment Guidelines to groups of K-12/College educators, administrators, law enforcement, counsellors, mental health professionals and other organizations.
The goal of the workshop is to establish procedures for conducting threat assessments in response to student threats of violence.
This one day workshop is designed to provide school threat assessment teams with resources to be able to conduct threat assessments in their school.
When an individual makes a threat or engages in concerning communications or behaviors that suggest the likelihood of a threatening situation, the Threat Assessment Guidelines shall be followed.
Participants will receive the course PowerPoint presentation, as well as newly developed forms. Topics to be covered include:
- Rationale for a threat assessment approach to violence prevention
- Why threat assessment is an alternative to zero tolerance and profiling approaches
- How to conduct a threat assessment
- The team approach and basic principles
- Use of the threat assessment five-step decision-tree
- Distinguishing transient from substantive threats
- Research findings
- Group case exercises
- Steps for implementing threat assessment
This event has been organized by the Wood Buffalo RCSD and we are thankful that the Municipality of Wood Buffalo has sponsored this initiative.